Monday, April 7, 2025

Paramore - This Is Why

Paramore - This Is Why

Shared by: Debbie

I’ve never been a big fan of Paramore. I remember when they were first entering into my life being annoyed at the four on the floor type beat of crushcruscrush’s verses and That’s What You Get’s chorus. It felt to me a bit lazy and overly you’re-catering-to-a-pop-audience-with-my-pop-punk. Oh, to be young and have such strong emotions.

I’ve eased up on my feelings of Paramore. I listen to Riot’s singles casually now with a sense of enjoyment I didn’t have back then. I know some more of their older stuff through Debbie.

When their self-titled came out, I actually got kind of hype. Still Into You was an absolute all time banger (With that same beat tho…) Ain’t It Fun also rocked. Was Paramore making music I truly enjoyed now? But alas, I find that album too bloated to find anything else in it.

Debbie suggested I listen to This Is Why, saying it had some stuff I might like. I knew they’d done some more evolving of their sound, really leaving their pop punk emo vibes behind. Which meant I didn’t know what to expect here.

There’s a lot of this choppy maybe funky playing going on throughout this album. I don’t think funk is quite the right adjective.

It seems like as I grow, Paramore grows at the same rate just outside of doing things I really want to listen to. Like on paper it seems to check boxes of things I want to hear, but I don’t really want to hear it. Back then it was “yea pop punk emo” but too poppy for me. Now its “yea interesting weird music” but the way they’re going about it feels… false. Music for the sake of making music. Writing your song in a library after reading many books. The band at the DIY show that is really, really tight, but plays for 47 minutes and leaves after their set. Also they’re wearing like blazers with a v neck tee underneath.

I’m really trying to describe this vibe as best I can. I think harping on it is coming off way more harsh than I mean to, but I just want to explain it as best I can. I didn’t even have a bad time listening to the album. It was fine. I don’t know if THIS is why, but it’ll do.

Word

Fave: Crave,
Least: ,

0 comments: