Tuesday, April 8, 2025

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

Shared by: Peter

I think it's very interesting that this album seems to take itself very seriously. I don't know if this is really valid thought process, since I'm not super well-versed on old school hip hop. But I'm thinking about albums like Nas' Illmatic, and the recently reviewed Diamond D album, and how there's moments in those albums that really feel like it's just a bunch of friends in the studio having fun on the mic. This album really doesn't have those jovial moments. I wonder if the big difference is that this is not a debut album, whereas those two are. The group has already had their fun in the studio once before, and now it's time to focus on the music. Not my favorite selection of beats, there are some moments that don't really sound in the key the song is purporting otherwise. It's also a situation where I wish there could be a remaster to really get this bass bumpin, and it probably isn't even possible in the way I'd hope. But the bars are there, and there are a lot of them.

Cool

Fave: Vibes and Stuff, Scenario
Least: ,

0 comments: