Shared by: Tee
The first time I heard about Thundercat was Zeb and Eva discussing (arguing) about whether he made “serious” jazz. They were always arguing about jazz.
The next time was with Kendrick’s To Pimp A Butterfly, and I understood the argument a little bit. Not enough to have the argument or care about levels of jazz. But I really like that album, and I think the production is stellar, but every once in a a while there’s a bit of jazz nonsense that sounds corny and unnecessary. Like the entirety of the first song.
But this is about Thundercats album! It’s basically the parts of TPAB I don’t like but for an entire album. And a whole lot of falsetto. A lot of it just has this level of corn that I really can’t get into. The playing is great, the production is mostly great (screw that snare on Captain Stupido), but I just can’t get into it. Oddly enough, when Kendrick came in on Walk On By, it felt like I was listening to a lost TPAB song which was a fun bit of imagination.
Not For Me
Fave: Uh Uh, Them Changes
Least: The Turn Down,
0 comments:
Post a Comment