Shared by: I Worked On This
I went into recording this album with a single goal in mind: Do better than The Lonelier’s first album. This wasn’t a hard goal to reach, so I did accomplish it, but now so many years later it’s hard not to just criticize my work. There’s like, a little too much reverb on everything, and the cymbals are taking up way too much real estate. I remember having a lot of trouble with this one getting the kick and snare to smack in any meaningful way. But everything sounds pretty natural. Guitar never sounds bad, and sometimes sounds great. Bass is solid, even though I know there’s some noise in the bass track. I think I covered it up great. This was the last Loneliers record recorded without a click, which I think is only a real problem at the beginning of songs. I think really the only thing that would have realistically improved this was more experience on my end, which is where I’m coming from now.
The songs are a lot more varied than I remember. Of course, the fully acoustic track recorded during this time, American Dream, didn’t make it on the album, but Only In Dreams and What a Perfect Day are variations on The Loneliers’ sound that I honestly forget sometimes. Only In Dreams is a ska song. Sorry Debbie, you gotta accept this truth.
I like how unassuming the album starts with There’s Something Weird About You, even if that’s probably a bad choice for streaming. I love how the bass and guitar play against eachother in the beginning of Familiar Strangers. I like how Everywhere I Go is so clearly a first album song, and I’m very glad it went on this album instead.
I don’t like how the interlude to Happily sever After came out, even though I think I did the best I could. I really don’t like that they ripped me off with Love!!!
Classic
Fave: Familiar Strangers, Happily Ever After
Least: We Are The Loneliers,
0 comments:
Post a Comment