Shared by: Self
This might be a lot more prefaces than actual thoughts on the album, but here we go.
Preface 1: Mark F suggested a dub ragged full album cover of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, but I decided to be better acquainted with the source material before listen to it.
Preface 2: I’ve never REALLY listened to The Beatles, like, in full, so I figured before I got into sgt pepper, I might as well go for the full thing.
Preface 3: Old albums are weird. With an overseas band, the albums we got were often different than the albums they got, changing up the track listing to make it more marketable. I have no idea what the proper chronology of The Beatles is. Streaming app tells me this is the first album, I’m gonna go with that.
Preface 4: I do not like the production technique/limitation from older albums where the drums are panned to one side. I think Revolver got a remix that fixes it, but I’m not holding my breath for all the albums. I’m gonna do my best to just not care about this issue.
Preface 5: sorry Debbie
Preface 6: I’ve recently learned Ringo Starr has never eaten pizza. This is a fact I cannot get over. He says it’s allergy related, and that’s fair, but also, you’re a Beatle. You can get someone to make you that pizza however you need it to be made.
So, after all that, here we are with Please Please Me. For the most part it is totally fine. It’s catchy, it’s simple, it’s nice. Probably just a competent pop album at the time, I can’t imagine much of this is groundbreaking yet. But the harmonies are coming in nice, the drums are already classic Ringo. The gritty vocals on Twist And Shout feel like they might have been a little edge pushing for the time. Speaking of, should we play “how many of these are covers?” Because the answer is a lot.
Cool
Fave: I saw Her Standing There, Twist And Shout
Least: ,
0 comments:
Post a Comment