Shared by: Anthony M
Here’s one of those albums that should not exist, but it does, and people know about it. It’s William Shatner; talking with his typical inflection, over a variety of musical styles. I’m pretty sure when I was younger I had a joke with my cousins about William Shatner covering songs, but I didn’t know it was based in reality.
At times this feels like a a weirdly modern noir film. The whole concept honestly almost works perfectly. William’s dramatic tone works for spoken word music better than a lot of songs I’ve heard where the band tries a spoken word portion. His writing is imperfect, and there’s some corny lines for sure, but I believe him. In fact, some of the poorer writing might actually add to the authenticity. Unfortunately the whole thing can’t quite stick the landing; whether it be because the recording feels a bit stock, or perhaps it’s in the arrangement, or because he just can’t carry an entire album. There’s a lot of moments where another singer comes in to actually sing, and it feels wrong. We don’t do that here! Still, I’m impressed there was anything good to say at all for a concept like this.
Word
Fave: It Hasn’t Happened Yet, Together
Least: You’ll Have Time,
0 comments:
Post a Comment