Sunday, January 26, 2025

Owen - At Home With Owen

Owen - At Home With Owen

Shared by: Self

When you have to go into work an hour and a half early, the sun hasn’t even started rising, and it’s cold, you need some calm music to get you through the trip. If it’s too energetic it’s going to feel like an assault to your ears. But it can’t be too atmospheric, since that might just put you to bed.

These are the kind of moments where At Home With Owen shines. I don’t think I really have a large enough arsenal of pretty calm, mostly acoustic music such as this, and it’s because it’s such a specific mood for me, it can be hard to get into a new album. I don’t remember the exact time where I was getting into it, but I remember some stuff. I loved the early American Football work, the reunion hadn’t happened yet, but I was hungry for more. Mike Kinsella had this project, which historically I wasn’t particularly into. But at some point I decided to download the album and just go through it. Whenever it was, it clicked.

It’s interesting listening now, so many years later and hearing how things I didn’t love about the album before have become staples. Like some strange percussion decisions: that clank of a snare-type hit in Bad News, or the panned multi-take later on in the song. The truly awful mess of a guitar solo in Bird In Hand. I still don’t think this album needed a cover, but that’s mostly because I do not need Mike softly singing the word cock into my ear. Does the original Femme Fatale even do that? Why did he do that?

Couple other thoughts I can’t fit elsewhere:
- Bad News has to be one of the rudest songs I’ve ever heard in my life. Show me a diss track more savage
- When I hear it, I often think of playing The Sad Waltzes of Pietro Crespi in Guitar Center with Christian. It was a nice day. Can’t remember if that was the day we did a group interview for a job there where we had us line up like we were prisoners and answer questions. Also one of the few times Christian actually listened to a song recommendation from of mine smh

Classic

Fave: The Sad Waltzes Of Pietro Crespi, Bird In Hand
Least: Femme Fatale,

0 comments: