Friday, January 24, 2025

Vylet Pony - CUTIEMARKS (And The Things That Bind Us)

Vylet Pony - CUTIEMARKS (And The Things That Bind Us)

Shared by: Lucaas

When I saw the album art for this I was filled with dread, both because of the subculture it’s attached to, and because I don’t know Lucaas well enough to know the intent of sharing this album with me.

I don’t know much about My Little Pony. It didn’t have an active series on TV when I was young, and while I can certainly play the jingle in my head without even trying, I’m not happy about it. So, it’s really not a subculture I know much about. I’ve heard some negative opinions, but yknow, people can like what they like. Who am I to judge? I have a lingering concern that my opinion on the album will be inherently indicative of the opinion on the subculture since the album is obviously inspired by it.

Upon pressing play I had a sense of relief as I was immediately greeted with some high production value. The first song features a monologue that, while rambling and far too long, offers what I think is a solid critique of the show and its concept of Cutiemarks. These are apparently a pigeonholing of individuals to have one interest in life that they must focus on. Is it not fair to then ask the artist: arent pigeonholing your musical career by basing it on My Little Pony?

The music on the album is pretty diverse. I think hyperpop encompasses most of it, but there’s some dubstep, some clear emo influences, and even that one kind of uh reggaeton-ish song. I just think it would’ve been better without all the copyright infringement

Word

Fave: BONNIE, PROTAGONIST SYNDROME
Least: THE THINGS THAT BIND US, LESBIAN PONIES WITH WEAPONS

0 comments: