Shared by: Kim
If there's one thing I now know about Tyler, The Creator, it's that he REALLY doesn't want kids. More specifically, he doesn't want the responsibility of being a father. I have to imagine he's at least conflicted about the wanting kids part, with how much he's talking about it.
I never give Tyler, The Creator a chance. Ever since the video for Yonkers came out, every album since, I've said "Yonkers was pretty cool. I bet he's got some more cool stuff." And then I never click play. I hear "this album was pretty good" and "this album wasn't very good" but I still don't try for myself, though I've heard random songs.
With CHROMAKOPIA, I've only heard good things (and one weird thing about his mom and his dick), so when Kim OFFICIALLY suggested I listen to this album, I said ok, let's break the cycle.
So how do I feel, having given a TTC album a proper listen? I feel.. kind of mixed? Mostly positive, I think, but definitely unsure. There's some great stuff here, and some downright annoying stuff here.
Tyler really likes to repeat things. Usually densely packed. St. Chroma, Thought I was Dead are some examples of that. He also says "n*** and b***" (as a phrase) all over the album, which I don't think I would've even noticed, but the first time it happens, he stops the whole song to change it to "and WOMEN!" which makes every further instance feel so strange. And don't forget his feelings about becoming a dad.
But honestly, it feels weird commenting on lyrics so much, because I'm not a lyrics first kind of person. I usually don't even hear much of the lyrics of a song on the first listen, so I guess I have to give him props for getting his words into my head so frequently.
Musically, I think I lean toward liking things a little more. Some beats are annoying (Noid, Sticky), and a lot of songs start with something I could've done without. For instance, I Killed You is one of my faves from the album, but that intro is complete trash. Otherwise, there's lots of cool beats, even if some are a bit messy.
I probably need to relisten to this but I'm pretty sure overall I like it. I just wish I didn't have so many complaints.
Wow
Fave: I Killed You, Balloon (feat. Doechii)
Least: Sticky (feat. GloRilla, Sexyy Red & Lil Wayne), Noid
0 comments:
Post a Comment