Wednesday, January 15, 2025

The Fall Of Troy - In The Unlikely Event

The Fall Of Troy - In The Unlikely Event

Shared by: Self

It’s time to put on the conspiracy theory hats: I think Tim (bassist) was the reason The Fall Of Troy was so good. Listen, everyone pays attention to Thomas. His guitar playing is flashy as all hell and always on full display. He also is the lead singer, with a great clean voice and a superb ability to switch to screaming and back with ease. He’s front and center throughout every song, and it’s natural to assume he’s the main songwriter. But I think Tim was the emotional backbone in all of his songs. He took the songs to the next level. I don’t know how much it was in principal writing, or in just working with what was presented, but I think his influence was the actual “it” factor for The Fall Of Troy. I was already feeling it a bit with Phantom on the Horizon, but he was obviously involved with a majority of the songwriting there, and the re-recorded versions without him lose something. In The Unlikely Event is the first release that is truly Tim free, with Frank Ene taking on the bass and backup vocals. And I think the album suffers.

This is not at all an attack of Frank. He’s got a great voice, and his bass playing is clearly exemplary. I even think I noticed more “cool bass line” moments in this than with the albums I’ve listened to thus far*. I think he just didn’t affect the songs in the same way. With Thomas fully in charge, it’s a little cornier, and a little less meaningful.
Or hey, maybe that’s all ridiculous, and it’s actually just that this is the 3rd release from the band in 3 years. That’s a whole lot of output for no reason. Maybe it could’ve just taken some more time in the oven.
Also, what’s with the vocals here? Particularly on the opener, Panic Attack!, it sounds like they de-essed to all hell and he’s singing with a cold or something.

*Ive skipped their self titled on purpose

Wow

Fave: Single,
Least: People And Their Lives,

0 comments: