Shared by: Self
I know I’m not original for singing this albums praises, but geez this thing is good. Charlie Brown music has been in my life for as long as I’ve been alive, but I hadn’t given this album itself a proper listen until my early 20s. I was having a rough time in college, and I felt like I was struggling to get into the holiday spirit. I figured while I studied I’d put on some Christmas music to distract me from my pain, but I didn’t want too many words in my ear. So I put this on and instantly I felt it. The warmth, the calm. I started to feel good again. This album was on repeat for the entire month of December. When it finished, I’d think about what I wanted to switch to, but nothing else felt right. My commutes were an hour and a half, so I’d hear it at least twice each direction. Since then it’s become a tradition to listen to the album in full as many times as I feel comfortable to in December. Its usually a lot.
I do have some gripes with the album. The 60s jazz recording style of semi hard panning the drums and bass separately to the left and right is so irksome to me. I understand the technical limitations they were working with, and that this is a lot less of an issue if you’re listening with speakers in a room. But I listen with headphones a lot, and I don’t like it. I’m a hater.
I’m also aware that at this point the album has had a few different mixes released, and I have not really inspected them to note their differences. For this particular 2012 mix, sometimes that bass feels like it’s gonna straight up blow up my speaker. Particular in cars. It feels so silly to say this about a very chill jazz album but here I am.
Lastly, note the “expanded” keyword in the title. This version adds 3 songs to the end: Greensleeves, Great Pumpkin Waltz, and Thanksgiving Theme. I think Greensleeves is a perfect addition to the end of the album, even though it’s far too similar to What Child Is This. But Great Pumpkin Waltz and Thanksgiving Theme? Those are different holidays. Great songs, but they gotta go. And justice for the song that plays during the intro credits of Its The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.
Classic
Fave: Skating,
Least: ,
0 comments:
Post a Comment