Thursday, December 19, 2024

jschlatt - A Very 1999 Christmas

jschlatt - A Very 1999 Christmas

Shared by: The Internet

I stumbled on this one thanks to a YouTuber (that I’ve never watched) making a video about another YouTuber (that I’ve never watched). I quickly learned a few things:
- Jschlatt does not make music outside of this project
- He did some Frank Sinatra cover randomly that got popular so he decided to make a whole Christmas album
- it is, based on the other YouTubers opinion, a very good Christmas album.

I only watched about a minute of the video before realizing even if I did want to watch this video, I didn’t want too many spoilers about the music. I’d like to just try a new Christmas album, why not?
I would agree that this is a solid album. Jschlatt’s vocals are smooth and deep, and the instrumentals are faithful within the genre. If you told me i was listen to Frank Sinatra… well… I’d believe it more than “random YouTuber” I guess.

Some notable critiques I have are that the vocals aren’t quite as hi fidelity as the rest of the music. I no longer notice by song three, but when the album repeated at the end to Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Again, I immediately noticed. Dip in quality there. So perhaps the songs were just recorded differently and some came out better than others. Baby Its Cold Outside is a troubled song that is surprising to see on a 2024 release, but my main issue is the Andrew Sisters style double voice on the feminine vocal. Just because, it’s very much a song between two people, so having the extra voice throws it off. Other songs with this style of backing voice work great. Lastly, I don’t think the album necessarily does anything unique enough to itself for me to feel like I should return. It’s impressively competent for someone who doesn’t DO this, and his voice is certainly nice, but it’s very standard covers of songs we all already know. Unless any of these are songs Frank Sinatra never got to, why not just listen to his version? Or Bing Crosby? Nat King Cole?

Cool

Fave: Happy Holidays,
Least: Baby, It’s Cold Outside,

0 comments: