Monday, December 23, 2024

Sia - Everyday Is Christmas (Snowman Deluxe Edition)

Sia - Everyday Is Christmas (Snowman Deluxe Edition)

Shared by: Morgan

There are some albums you don’t expect to hear as someone’s favorite album, and I think that carries quite well for favorite Christmas albums. The lack of expectation is usually fueled by a preconceived notion either of the person or of the music, which you haven’t heard. In this case, maybe a little of both have occurred.

I’ve heard the singles of this one before, and I haven’t hated them. I think I generally have a respect for Sia even though I don’t choose to listen to her much. But a whole (deluxe) album of her doing Christmas songs? I don’t know, man. I guess I’ll try it.

You know that meme that’s like “being a 9 year old and listening to some sad song crying as though I’d ever even been in a relationship?” This feels staunchly the opposite. I am an adult listening to these very seriously produced songs like “damn, Sia’s really leaving it all out on the table” but she’s talking to a snowman. It’s all played so straight. The instrumentation also barely gets deep on using “Christmas sounds”. There’s the occasional sleigh bells or… other bells, but for the most part it’s stuff you’d hear in songs the rest of the year. Theres also only one cover here, which isn’t even a Christmas song. It’s like it’s just a regular, thoughtful album, but the songs just happen to be about Christmas. Which I think is honestly pretty effective. The emotion doesn’t feel forced, and the happier songs usually dont have that Christmas cash-in schlock sound that I can’t truly describe.

The trumpetesque voice Naughty & Nice is way too loud, and why in the hell did you put the dopey cartoon sound effects in Ho Ho Ho?

Wow

Fave: Snowflake, Pin Drop
Least: Ho Ho Ho, 12 Nights

0 comments: