Shared by: Self
Yknow, the self proclaimed Christmas Queen only has one proper full Christmas album, and I don’t think that’s right. Sure, there’s the Christmas special soundtrack, but most of that is lil excerpts and songs already on Merry Christmas. Just feels a little lazy, you feel me?
Not that Merry Christmas hasn’t earned its place in the Christmas album hall of fame. All I Want For Christmas Is You has had downright absurd popularity that has only grown since its release, and other songs also get solid airplay on radio during the season.
But this isn’t about the album’s success, it’s about how I feel about it. Right now. And I’m a bit underwhelmed by the sound here. This album suffers from some very vocal forward pop production. And I can’t really blame it, young Mariah Carey vocals are going to be the reason people are listening here, but I really wish the instruments got some more space. The bass is safe but solid. The drums sound mostly stock and don’t do much. Except those toms. Good lord! BOOOM!! Everything else is barely audible. Like, that piano is going completely bonkers in some of these songs and you really gotta pay attention to hear it.
The vocal performance is of course effectively perfect, though a bit showy. Ya got nothin to prove, Mariah. Maybe you did back in ‘94?
These complaints I have should imply that this album is just not for me, but I would argue against that. From what I can hear, there’s a lot of really beautiful arrangements here, and the vibes are definitely right. I just want to believe them more.
Cool
Fave: All I Want For Christmas Is You,
Least: Jesus Oh What A Wonderful Child,
0 comments:
Post a Comment