Shared by: Peter
Sometimes, old albums give me a headache. I was preparing myself to write a little paragraph about how this album is called The Christmas SONG, which, while I understand is named after the (unoriginally titled) song, it’s still a confusing name for an album. But given that I’m listening to the “expanded edition” I wanted to at least look up what I was talking about before sounding too silly.
And man, I just got confused. First off, apparently Nat King Cole recording The Christmas Song song a bunch of times before this album was ever released. When it WAS originally released, it:
A) was called “The Magic Of Christmas”
B) didn’t even feature The Christmas Song song
Then it was rereleased with this song tacked on and it took over the whole album. When you think Nat King Cole, chances are The Christmas Song song is the song you’re gonna think about. From what I can tell, “Expanded Edition” is at best a misnomer, because this is effectively just the 1999 reissue of the album, but without the little spoken intro from Nat. So, a bit unexpanded. But this version wins out, because its cover is just so much better. The other one is cold. This one is so warm.
And this album oozes warmth. This has cozy Christmas vibes written all over it. The instrumentation is smooth and relaxing, and Nat’s firm but soft deep voice massages your ears. I listened to this in the daytime and I hated doing so. Get me in a room lit only by the fireplace and the Christmas tree, in the middle of the night. Don’t turn it up too loud because the kids are sleeping. Sip on the eggnog. I’m an adult, I’ll add a little rum. My armchair is just comfortable enough, that I won’t fall asleep, but I’m very relaxed. No phones in sight, just one guy living in the moment.
But it’s the middle of the day, and I’m frantically wrapping presents. (Hey, aren’t you supposed to be listening while on your way to work?). I’m turning my phone on grayscale in an effort to look at it less. My back kinda hurts. I kind of wish the instrumentation went a little harder on the more upbeat songs. Stop pretending the drummer isn’t there. Please Nat, sing it straight more often, it’s hard to sing along when you’re lingering like that.
Keeping up with the world is hard, and it can feel impossible to take a moment for yourself. But I’ve decided to take a seat and write this. The album has started over. It’s still the middle of the day. My couch isn’t the armchair in my vision, and I don’t have a fireplace. But I’m looking at my 2 foot fake tree I had to put out because I never got out to get a real one, and I’m taking my moment. Nat King Cole is guiding me through it. The eggnog is waiting for me in the fridge.
Wow
Fave: I Saw Three Ships, O Come All Ye Faithful
Least: O Tannenbaum,
0 comments:
Post a Comment