Shared by: Self
I first saw Shilelagh Law at what I believe was a Xaverian Pipe & Drum benefit event, where my parents bought a table and invited whoever to join. I went and brought Peter so we could hang out. We snuck a beer. Shilelagh Law was the only performance of the night other than a short set from the Pipe and Drum band. On the other hand, Shilelagh Law played for 4 hours. I thought they were pretty cool with all their traditional instruments, though I kind of wanted them to have a full drum kit drummer. My mom bought their CDs, this one and Half The Bottle Down.
These albums sound great, but at the same time, don't sound as good as I want them to. All the performances are nearly perfect, but there's something about the way it was recorded and or mixed that feels like something is missing. There's life in the playing, but none in the recording. Like everything has a close mic on it in an extremely acoustically treated room. The acoustic guitar sounds like an acoustic guitar, but not one playing in a room. The drums you can hear every hit, but it's like they exist in a vacuum. The bass feels like a perfect bass DI, but not a bass playing out of an amp (or through a cromulent modeler). I could also be totally wrong in my guesses here. It's just that thing where I can really enjoy listening, but I feel like I COULD be enjoying it that much more. Is it that I still just want a full drum kit?
Regardless, this is still the closest music to traditional Irish tunes that is in any semi regular rotation for me. I enjoy a lot of the arrangements on the traditional tunes, and I like the originals as well, sometimes even better. I will say it's a little weird to me that this album has some pretty pro-police lines while also having a few pro IRA lines.
Classic
Fave: Until The Morning Comes,
Least: Rare Old Times,
0 comments:
Post a Comment