Thursday, March 20, 2025

Perfume Genius - No Shape

Perfume Genius - No Shape

Shared by: Self

Every couple of years I remember Perfume Genius and I give this album another shot. The story of this album being on my radar is steeped in mystery. I vividly remember Juan posting Slip Away on Christian’s Facebook, with the caption being something like “here’s that song I showed you today” and Christian responded with something like “thanks this is awesome, this music video really is crazy”. I checked it out and was like “wow this music video really is crazy” but wasn’t really paying attention to the song and then forgot about the situation. Some day many moons later I thought about the music video and did a deep dive to find the post, and couldn’t find it. I asked Christian, he had no recollection. Many moons later after that I remembered it again, with the memory this time being of the song, and somehow, with that, I found the video. But I still never found the facebook post. Showed the video to Christian and he said he never saw it before.

I never asked Juan.

This album has some true mad lad recording energy. As far as I’ve read a majority of the album is a “binaural” recording. Which takes stereo a step further by recording EVERYTHING in stereo. It makes for a surprisingly odd experience. For example, the first time I listened to the album in full, I listened in headphones. When the album started, I was convinced the sound was actually coming from a speaker I had to my right. A moment totally unique to this album.

I’ve given anecdotes and I’ve spoken on the production, but I haven’t spoken about the music. I don’t think I’m there yet. It’s like the first time I listened, there was too much to take in that the music took a backseat. But Slip Away is an absolute banger.

Wow

Fave: Slip Away,
Least: ,

0 comments: