Shared by: Self
Here’s a serious throwback for me and me only. Googling this band lets me know they had some success, but I only knew them as some random MySpace band I found, and I dug the songs enough to ask for the CD for my birthday. At some point, I stopped listening to the album so some of this felt very new to me again.
Let me go on a bit of a tangent regarding the emo genre. It’s complicated. It’s vast. There are many subgenres and gatekeepers. I don’t want to start arguments (right now at this very moment). But I want to talk a bit about “mall emo”. I think even in the subgenre of mall emo, there’s a couple different sub sub genres. There’s the one that’s basically pop punk, but then there’s the one that has more of like a hard rock maybe nu metal influence. And Vaeda, to me, feels like THE stereotypical sound for that side. It’s mostly taking itself super seriously, and honestly it probably wouldn’t even be considered emo of any sort if it had more like an Eddie Vedder style voice. But “All For You” is, for better or worse, THE song.
The songs I don’t remember as much, I didn’t like as much. Which is definitely why I stopped listening. It’s cool once in a while but I just don’t want it more, and it’s a pretty long album. I still love Knee Jerk though, which is ironically got a slightly different vibe. One time I got in an argument with Alex cuz he didn’t… agree with me (?) that a part of Paul Gilbert’s You Kids reminded me of the intro riff of this song.
Cool
Fave: Knee Jerk, All For You
Least: Thief, Jesus Rides The Subway
0 comments:
Post a Comment