Shared by: Self
We are squarely in experimentation land now. I have to remind myself that everything I'm listening to was recorded and (originally) mixed fully on tape. There are so many production choices here that, with that in mind, kind of blow me away. Like, it's easy to take it all for granted now, but I can't imagine listening to this in the 60s. The backwards guitar solo in I'm Only Sleeping. Tomorrow Never Knows is all over the place. Even Yellow Submarine, which is still an impressively stupid song, does an incredible job mixing foley into the song for a technically immersive experience.
Eleanor Rigby is the magnum opus of this album, even though it's completely different than anything else on the album, and probably different than any other Beatles song. Just orchestra and voices. I wonder how it would have been with drums, but I'm ok with no drums, this song is a banger.
The experimentation gets us the later Beatles vibes, but doesn't yet make for a collection of great songs. Most of the songs don't quite do what I want them to . They're not bad, but not incredible either. And who decided on that chord in I Want To Tell You, that was an unhinged choice.
Cool
Fave: Eleanor Rigby,
Least: I Want To Tell You, Yellow Submarine
0 comments:
Post a Comment