Shared by: Caity
The name of this album makes me giggle. I was told to listen to "Björk's Debut" and I was like ok let me look up her debut album. Streaming service presents me with Gling-Glo, released 1990, and the next album, released 1993? "Debut". I understand Debut is the proper debut of solo Björk, but it was an amusing hiccup to start the day.
Much of this album can be described as:
- A reasonably simple, often dancy drum beat
- A repeating bassline that would rival Kanye's "Fade" if it were mixed more aggressively
- Björk singing on and off tempo with trance-like melodies that aren't typically heard with the music it's being paired with
The result manages to feel fresh, even when much of the production is definitely early 90s. The repeating beats allow Björk's voice to shine and do whatever it feels like.
There are two clear strays from this formula, the weirdest-version-of-I'll-Be-Home-For-Christmas-ever in Like Someone In Love, and the strange-saxophone-chords of The Anchor Song. Let me tell you, that final saxophone chord, with the resolve and the crazy loud low note is one of the best feeling chords I've heard in a while. I don't love the whole song as it is, but it is 100% worth it to hit that final chord.
Hell Yeah
Fave: Human Behavior,
Least: Like Someone In Love,
0 comments:
Post a Comment