Saturday, December 7, 2024

What Are These Ratings?

I don't necessarily think an album can be "rated" on some scale of one to ten, but I also know that sometimes it's easier to get a general feel for a review if it's summed up with some kind of simple rating system. My words could come out a little more negative that day, when I actually hold the album in high regard. So I've created a rating system that should clear that up. These are my opinion in that moment of listening to the album. I wouldn't put too much stock in comparing one albums rating to another. I could just be having a better day that day. Here are the ratings with a brief explanation of what each one would typically mean:

Classic
Albums with a Classic rating are albums from my past that I am revisiting for the blog. It's an album I've personally loved for a long time, which has made it impossible for me to rate in any other way. I think it's great, but fully understand that might be the nostalgia talking.

New Love
This was an instant hit for me and I wanted to listen to it again right away.

Added To Zune
Backstory: I was in the Zune camp. During those times, my Zune library WAS my music library. When I got wrapped up into streaming, I lost that library, and think "My Library" on Spotify is a pretty pathetic replacement. I've created a playlist called "Zune" that holds all the songs I like to listen to. If I've added the album to the "Zune" playlist, I've really liked it, and want to hear it more often. Classics and New Loves would also probably be on "Zune". Other ratings still may have been added, or specific songs may have been added.

Hell Yeah
This album was awesome. Lots of cool stuff here. I liked the majority to all of it.

Wow
Very impressive album. I liked a lot of it

Cool
Probably going to be the most common rating. I liked it, there were probably some songs I added to Zune.

Word
I get this. Word.

Should Revisit
For some reason, this didn't click for me as much as I think it might. Perhaps I was off that day. It's probably worth a revisit, as I might turn around on it another day.

Not For Me
I can see value in this, but I'm not personally enjoying it. I like to think I'm open to anything, but sometimes things just don't work for me! You might want to check it out if it's a genre you enjoy.

Disappointing
I had a certain expectation for this, and it didn't deliver. I may have still enjoyed a lot of it, but it wasn't what I wanted it to be, so I'm conflicted.

Bad
I did not like this, and would not recommend it, regardless of your preferred genres. There were too many negatives to it

Unlistenable
This was a slog to get through, and I would avoid at all costs. I may have gotten a headache.

Skip
Something about this made me turn it off. Albums in this category could be a Should Revisit situation, but for whatever reaosn, right now, I just cannot deal with this. Or, it was actively painful to listen to.

0 comments: